The Joint Task Force North-East, Operation Hadin Kai, says Abu-Bilal Al-Minuki — a senior Islamic State figure — was killed during a coordinated military offensive in Metele, Borno State.
The operation, carried out with the United States Africa Command, followed sustained intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance activities. In a statement on Saturday, Media Information Officer Lt.-Col. Sani Uba said troops hit a heavily fortified terrorist hideout in the Metele area of the Lake Chad Basin.
According to him, the strike killed Al-Minuki, also known as Abu Bakr ibn Muhammad ibn Ali al-Mainuki, along with several commanders and other fighters linked to the extremist group. The military noted Al-Minuki had been designated a Specially Designated Global Terrorist by the United States in June 2023 under Executive Order 13224 over allegations of coordinating funding and operational support for extremist cells across the Sahel and Lake Chad region.
Operation Hadin Kai said the assault began at about 12:01 a.m. on May 16 and ended around 4:00 a.m., using precision air strikes backed by ground troops. Special forces were positioned to cut off escape routes and support the air component. The task force reported no casualties or equipment losses among its troops.
Battle damage assessment and follow-up clearance operations are ongoing to track any surviving insurgents. The military called the operation a significant achievement in counterterrorism in the North-East, saying it will weaken the operational strength of the Islamic State West Africa Province and allied networks.






